The Duffer Encyclopedia

Butterflies

Butterflies

Any of various insects of the order Lepidoptera, characteristically having slender bodies, knobbed antennae, and four broad, usually colorful wings. (See The American Heritage)

A butterfly comes from the scream of a duffer falling off of a cliff, just as a fairy comes from a baby's first laugh. Butterflies can often be seen fluttering across the screen, which is probably because of how often people get pushed off cliff in the Land of the Duffers.

~Submitted by Lossëndil.

Last edited:
Insane Asylum, again.

Insane Asylum, part two?

The Insane Asylum itself cannot truly ever be destroyed. It is an immutable, unchangeable, integral part of the Universe itself; its destruction would therefore necessarily entail the destruction of the entire Universe. Such destruction, obviously, cannot be brought about by any such mundane force as "whalesplatting", indeed (as previously stated), the destruction of the Insane Asylum, since it would involve the destruction of the Universe as a whole, cannot be brought about by any force currently known to be in existence.
Moving on, we shall now consider the nomination and selection of candidates for the office of Director of the Insane Asylum. This position has, by long-standing tradition, carried with it the title of "Doctor"...

-From The Insane Asylum: A Sketch in Cheese Whiz, by Dr. Dipl. O. Rable-Lloonie​

~content provided by Olórin, submitted by Lossëndil

Loner Late Night Jam, A

Contrary to popular belief, Loner late night jamming does not involve a single person making themselves a jelly sandwich at night, but instead describes a reoccuring phenomenon in Dufferland. A Loner Late Night Jam is when a member is the only person online in Dufferland, and thus, to delay the inevitable boredom of being the only duffer online, posts in every single Dufferland thread until every thread bears their username as the last post. This is subsequently followed by the member scowering other sections of the forum helplessly, returning quickly to Dufferland, and refreshing their page 10 to 20 times before finally admitting defeat and going to sleep/ doing something else.

Cats

Not rodents; sometimes referred to as kittens. Generally companionable to one another, these felines are capable of both great compassion and immeasurable fury. They have been known to duct-tape and torture those that they dislike using various methods, notably force-feeding vegetables to their captives, dragging their nails across chalkboards, and singing (some cats apparently are not vocally gifted).

Originally posted by Mozart the Meerkitten
Frodo: How should we torture him?
Dorthy: Cruel and unimaginable torture?
Toto: Imaginable torture?
Mozart: Caspian's singing?
Caspian: yea, hey what?!
me: All of the above?
Dorthy: I vote for all of the above!

The favored feline weapon appears to be the tomato cannon, but other edible projectiles are not out of the ordinary. Because cats strongly object to being caged, edible projectiles become more common when the subject is brought up.

Generally, cats appear in conjunction with Mozart the Meerkitten, though such is not always the case. At times, they almost seem to running the Insane Asylum, but they are sufficiently contained in most other parts of the forums.

Last edited:
Pancake

A delicious fried dish consisting mostly of eggs, flour and milk, possessing a round shape in its natural form.
In 2008, principal and wizard Olórin the Wise invented a punishment for his students which turned them into pancakes.
*slams her down into a pancake with ruler*
Sometime later, doubts were voiced by the school board about the amazingness of this method because
what children? all the students in this school are pancakes...
*flips by herself*
The doctor consulted to clear up the students’ identities resolved that pancakes cannot flip themselves. Since the children in the school did it, they must therefore still be children of some sort.
:eek: But pancakes cannot do that!!!
*flips MF*:D
Yeah, Olorinsesss is going to get arrested for pancake abuse, i mean: who puts a pancake in the janitor's closet anyway?:p
In 2009, a federal motion was passed which prohibited the conversion of children into pancakes and vice versa, which led to the disclosure of the YIPO (Your Inner Pancake Organization). Some of the students who were present at the time of the “pancake confusion” (Rable-Lloonie 2009) are still in medical treatment, shocked by the international celebration of Pancake Day.

~submitted by Miss Freckles

Look what I've got! (Can't remember when I started collecting this . . . :eek:)

Scientific Duffer [magazine?]

Handbook of Dufferland, by Dr. Cran

Death in Dufferland - Its Causes and Notable Impermanence, by Rable-Lloonie Publisher Inc., A.C.W.

Dufferish Tales of Whoa, by Rable-Lloonie Publisher Inc., A.C.W.

Whales and Waterhogs: Famous Creatures of Dufferland [essay] by Rable-Lloonie Publisher Inc., A.C.W.

The Insane Asylum: A Sketch in Cheese Whiz, by Dr. Dipl. O. Rable-Lloonie

You missed History of Dufferland and Marsh of the Moustache (although it has been claimed that "marsh" is a misprint and it was originally "march"), but apart from that, your list matches mine. Oh, and Luminous Locks - Legends and Tales Around the Beard.

Oh, dear. We seem to have run into the character limit in the original post (it's all those URLs, they're dreadfully long.) I wonder if Mods can overcome said limit...?

Just move some stuff to your second post (which is currently "Duffer Sun"). You can re-post the duffersun entry somewhere else.

oh, look, i found another one

me said:
it sounds like a short sotry by a high schooler

"death"
-by jello-

though i'm unfamiliar with the genre of "short sotry", i shall attempt to find this thing. it sounds interesting.

edit II: and here it is:

“Death”
-by jello-

There was this man, yeah, and he was, like, clothed in that, like, black garment or something, and he had a knife, so, he was pretty dangerous, you know, and he was on the way to the house. To the, uh, empty warehouse. His robes were flying behind him and he looked like his feet weren’t even touching the ground, like he was floating above the ground, which is pretty awesome. So, he went to that warehouse, and there were these other guys waiting for him, and with shades and black suits and all that, and they had laser eyes.
“You’re late, Petey,” they said all together in unison.
“I’m sorry,” Petey said – that’s the guy with the knife – “but I just came back from my granny’s funeral, you know.”
“Oh, kreiff, man,” the other guys said in unison. “That’s gotta hurt. We’re so sorry, mate.”
“Well, anyway,” knife-guy said. He pointed to the suitcases – yeah, the other guys also had these really dark black suitcases with them – with the knife, and the knife, like, reflected the moonlight, which looked scary. “Let’s get this over with, gentlemen.”
“Alright,” said the other guys in unison. They all looked the same, kind of. Not so gorgeous, though. There was this tension building up like something huge was gonna happen.
“So, it’s twenty-five cans of Japanese Cheese Whiz for the butterknife, as agreed,” the man with the knife said. He almost handed the knife over but then he suddenly stopped.
“Wait a minute,” he said, “how am I supposed to carry five suitcases at once?”
The other guys shrugged, then they said in unison: “How are we supposed to carry one knife when we’re five people at once?”
“Oh, I know,” said a bunny (it had been there all the time, actually, but it’s just no one had noticed it until then). “There’s this clone machine in the back. I’ll show you. It works, but no one ever wanted to buy it for some reason.”
So they went to the clone machine and stood there. It was pretty dark in there.
“You can go in, all five of you, and come out just one. So you can carry the knife by yourself.”
“That’s awesome!” said the five guys in unison. The rabbit blushed and opened the door.
“And you can go in and come out with four new ones of you,” the bunny said to knife-guy, oh yeah, his name was Petey – Petey the knife-guy.
“Okay,” Petey said. They did that and Petey ended up with all the cheese whiz and the five unison-guys were just one and they got the knife.
“Now it’s the same thing as before, only the other way round,” the bunny observed. “That’s sort of pathetic and pointless.”
“Yeah, but it both stars with a P, so I guess it’s cool,” Petey said and went home.

edit I: and then there is this *dlf writing poetry to the mod lounge couch*

Last edited:
Can's Fax Machine, The

A device used by the Mystical Can to converse with its Order of subservient Knights and other followers. Most often it is used to express satisfaction with a member of the Order, declare dissatisfaction with a member of the Order, and request cookies and/or other Can-tastic treats.
We believe this Fax Machine to be of relatively new origin, as the Can has never before partaken in electronic conversation with its followers. Prior to the Fax Machine, it would convey messages using an elaborate form of morse code, using reflections of lights off of its shiny aluminum exterior. This light-code takes years to learn; thus, only high members of The Order could translate. The Fax machine allows all members, Duffer or otherwise, to hear (see) the majestic articulations of The Can, ushering in a new age of Can supremacy and understanding.

First Documentation, post 1157

Back