The Duffer Encyclopedia

Just wandering around....

By the way, Don't you think "Quotation marks" and the other entry "Quotation marks used for various walls, ceilings, etc." sort of overlap? Maybe you could merge them. And add the newest mark, please:

(Lady of Narnia's) Notes: |...|

Last edited:
Waldo – A Life in Colons

Not much is known about Waldo's existence before he joined Narniafans as a nameless smiley. Whether his parents had simply neglected him or whether he was a secret agent is now meaningless. His life as Waldo really started only on that last day of September 2008. Since then, the popular song "Wake me up when September ends" has taken on a whole new meaning. Yes, Waldo had awoken from his slumber and occasional appearance in green posts on the Dancing Lawn. It was a wizard with a beard of a most peculiar colour who brought Waldo to life, as a gift to Lieke. (Gifts, especially birthday giftssss, have been known to lead to murder and excessive use of the phoneme /s/, but not in this case, fortunately.)

Olórin the Wise said:
Yes, you win a smiley, here you go: :rolleyes:
lieke said:
There is the Smiley i won. I´m going to call it Waldo, and then we have to find him (I WON! )

Was it coincidence again or providence that Lieke named that blue smiley after the popular Waldo, the master of hide-and-seek? One wonders.
From the beginning, proud owner Lieke made a point of Waldo belonging to her. She wouldn’t give him away to anyone, as she did with other smileys. (Note the increasing use of /s/ in the following quote, forebearance that the story of Waldo could end like the one of Sméagol and his birthday gift...)

lieke said:
Oh, happy birthday Nightfire!!!! (You still can't have Waldo though, but you can have Bob: ).
Waldo's mine! (look how happy he is ) Don't touch him, Smeagol! You go and hunt that hobbit... oh Ferny, look what Smeagol's doing to your precious(sss) Frodo... *hears scream* You should look at the bottem of that *points* cliff...

But no one thought about murder... at that time. Waldo's school years were happy ones,

Miss Freckles said:
waldo's still in school. they're doing a project on climate changes. there've been drastic ones in the last five minutes.

although he wasn't Mr. Popular.

Dernhelm said:
And who's Waldo?

What made Lieke and consequently Waldo insecure about his place in society and his identity in general was the fact that he was bullied in school

theorangejello said:
*eats waldo's cane thingy*

as well as the increasing mind confusion of the only mother he had ever known.

lieke said:
A great question, my friend. If Waldo's identity is erased, why would we try and find out where he is if we don't even know who he is, or why he is who and where he is. Waldo is the great mystery people, it's all Waldo. But since GG ate his magic cane she must know where he is, and if we know where he is, we might be able to find out who he is... if he is an actual someone. Great to know at least what he looks like, and red and white stripes are not that hard to find, unless you go to the Land of Waldo's, really the Land of Waldo's is awefull. All Waldo's, you try to find the one without his left shoe .

*puzzled*

Presently, Lieke was unable to keep adolescent Waldo under control.

lieke said:
(WALDO!! Wait, where did he go... oh no, not again *gets pushed off cliff by bowl of petunias* *gets crushed by whale* *sees waldo running by* *can´t follow him* *cries*)

She was dispatched to an Insane Asylum far away and left it to her friends at the Dancing Lawn to take care of Waldo.

lieke said:
please keep Waldo safe in my absense [sic].

Once the fragile bonds of love were broken between Lieke and Waldo, he was handed down by Lieke's friends. She would have been shocked to hear what they did to him.

Miss Freckles said:
*gives waldo a bath in the niagara falls*

holyboy said:
What? Waldo isn't flame resistant? Oops

One of the highlights in these dark days was a short stay with the famous, most revered Shiny Trash Can. But Lava's hopeful remark that

~Lava~ said:
Waldo is safe with the Can

proved a delusion as well. Waldo was kidnapped by the Spanish Inquisition. What was done to him in that dark dungeon, one can only guess at. A diary tells us in cruel detail of his torture.

The Spanish Inquistion said:
Now, I'm going to tie Waldo to a chair and force him to listen to HSM, while I stand off at a great distance, cackling! That'll kill his braincells!

Waldo's bane told the rest of the world that Waldo was on a long journey to the other end of the galaxy. A greeting card that Miss Freckles sent at that time never reached him.

Miss Freckles said:
dear waldo,

i hope you are well. i don't know why you didn't like it in my sticker book and i was very worried when you were gone. i heard you made a trip to that restaurant at the other end of the galaxy. nice. THE THOUGHT OF ASKiNG ME TO COME DiDN'T EVEN OCCUR TO YOU DiD iT???
i hope you are well and safe.
here is some microwave popcorn and a microwave (it is quite old and could explode when overheated, so stay away from it while making the popcorn)... ... ... (and stay away from the popcorn, too, it could kill you if one fell on your head)

lots of love,
your friend mf

When the giant Gondorgirl rescued Waldo at last, no one would have hoped that she would leave him alive, thanks to her reputation as the girl who eats anything. But Waldo was lucky again. All she did was

Gondorgirl said:
*stuffs Waldo into the little cracks between cushions on her couch*
many go down but few return to the sunlit lands...

Waldo proved her wrong and escaped yet again, whereupon theorangejello coined the famous phrase

theorangejello said:
run waldo run !

She was also the one who found out staggering things about Waldo that had never been known about the quiet, eye-rolling fellow before.

theorangejello said:
waldo has hands? i didn't know that...

theorangejello said:
Waldo speaks
- I LIKE THE PIE.
and jumps
WWWWEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

Other scientists became aware of Waldo's uniqueness now. Much of Waldo's past was revealed.

Lady Callandra said:
you know...has anyone ever wondered why always has that smile on his face? 0.o...

Lady of Narnia said:
Maybe because he's a very happy person.....

Lady Callandra said:
lol. ...he's just...so...squishy! *hugs *

theroangejello said:
Meet Waldo ( )'s little sister --->
she doesnt' have a name - find one for her
she loves to annoy waldo
she's very sweet
she is independent and can take care of her self
unlike waldo.

Meanwhile, his mother, still trapped in her job as doctor at the insane asylum, gave orders to find her son.

lieke said:
No orders for now, just... you know the usual stuff:
-don't kill anyone
-don't try to kill anyone
-don't hide any wooden tables
-don't eat your own leg
-don't touch my coffee
-don't look for the whale
-don't look for them
-don't try to figure out who the seven are
-Find Waldo
-Don't feed GG
-Don't go to the first floor second wing third room to the right...
und so weiter...[ger. 'and so on']

She was moved to tears to finally discover that Waldo had graduated and become

Miss Freckles said:
the representative of the association for thread assassination as a cause of procrastination

Today, there is no end to the diverse statements and rumours that you can hear about that little blue guy. These are only some of them.

Silvanus said:
It's one of the best things of dufferism. =D

Miss Freckles said:
Waldo's such a nice guy. Although some falsely accuse him of being a killer...

Silvanus said:
I can totally see Waldo as a murdering psychopath.

Miss Freckles said:
He was just an innocent smiley. Maybe he isn't even as sarcastic as he looks. Maybe he has a problem with his eyes...

Lady Callandra said:
His eyes go up towards heaven....where he sends all he meets.

QA48 said:
Aww no! Don't taint waldo's smiley! Maybe he's hiding a deep dark secret? What could it be?

=Lady CallandraHe's secretly from heaven?

Miss Freckles said:
Thus the blueness that radiates from him...

fernshirehobbit said:
No. that can’t be it...

Miss Freckles said:
Well, Ferny might be right. A deep dark secret can't have anything to do with heaven, because heaven is not dark but blue, and not deep, but high up.

Lady Callandra said:
So Waldo is a fish!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :O! THAT EXPLAINS IT ALL!!!

QA48 said:
You know I'll settle with Waldo being a fish. I can totally picture him with that face in the face of danger.

Lady Callandra said:
Him being a fish explains it all: dark, deep, blue.....which all equals: OCEAN!

But who Waldo is, is not the question, it seems, but rather: Where is Waldo?

-submitted by Miss Freckles

Last edited:
MF, last time i gave you two cookies, now i have nothing big enough to express my gratitude for that post :eek: Loved it! Every piece of it:D Poor Waldo :(

Invisible Writing
Now you see it now you don't. There is always a danger in duffer land to find places where it may look like the post is done or there is big empty space in the middle of the post but beware; Duffers are tricky people. There is a reason why experienced duffers normally highlight posts with spaces. But it is a well kept secret how to make your words disappear only some people know it. The practice is commonly used by Duffers like Lava, Olorin, Dernie, lieke, and select others.
You know you're a Duffer it when you know the secret. Thus DIAD.
Submitted by Lava

Last edited:
Ah, yes, Dufferland is tricky indeed:D Though i'm not one of the people who 'commonly use' it, i only reply to people posting it, like in this case DiaD. :p

the operative word in that statement was Like.

Mafia Games

A long standing practice in Dufferland. There are 20+ official Games of Mafia; however, not all of then have actually been played (1 had the PMs sent out but never went further than that). Legendary duffer HB started it all. Lieke led them for quite sometime. Now duffers take turns leading the games and they vary a great deal depending on the leader and the number of players. A full accounting of the games can be found in the first post of the Mafia Signup thread under the heading "Annals of Mafiaville".

Note: Two things are very important to note: first, the real game play does not happen in the thread but rather in the wheeling and dealing that occurs through PMs; second, fishie is the leader of the Fearsome (also called Nefarious) Four and she can never be trusted.

IOWW: It must also be noted that I, IOWW, in fact won the very first Mafia game, and subsequently won at least one more, from what I can remember.
And Note One was entirely correct, you can not trust Fish in the game of Mafia. Ever.

Submitted by ~Lava~

Last edited:
*rofl* I love the entry for waldo!!! :D

You know you're a Duffer it when you know the secret. Thus DIAD.

As for that. Hah. I am not a Duffer, and I started the invisible writing stuff, though Olorin came up with better matches. Therefore, you don't have to be a duffer to know about it.

Back