The Duffer Encyclopedia

I edited the Cheese Whiz post to tell the history of this phrase (believe it or not, but Cheese Whiz was even before MY time. I know, shocker.) Olorin (or however you speel your name) and other members are free to edit or delete the entry.

Also, I have never heard of The Uber Turnip, because it was after my time. I am curious to hear the history of that particular object. I shall ask Dern and see if she knows the answer.

haha well done, lauren, but i doubt that there will be any order in this thread a week from now...

if i may, i will appoint myself as the guardian of the duffer encyclopedia. *wears dumbledore's glasses* *and his beard as well*

well, let me make a contribution. (with capitals!)

Sturnidae Starling
(lat.); an eagle with an identity crisis who was left by his wife and swopped names with his arch-rival eagle accipitridae. Sturnidae became a Starbucks waiter and a writer. His first book, "IKEA Main Catalogue 2008" will be published this summer. He is also renowned for rescuing OtW while falling off a cliff.
Sturnidae was first mentioned by lieke in the Corrupt A Wish Game. Read the whole story here.

Walls; tall beings usually consisting of bricks and paint. Are rumoured to be able to talk which cannot be confirmed because insane people are not to be trusted. The walls in the Insane Asylum have nasty habits of crushing people flat, having arguments with the corners, doors, doorknobs, floors, ceilings or inmates.
"Talk to the wall" has become a common phrase for youngsters these days, used to replace the old phrase "Speak to the hand".
The history of walls is uncertain. Legend says that all walls have descended from Brickston in Southeast London where The Wall still stands, waiting for a masseuse that never came.
It is a generally remarkable fact that all walls seem to like donuts.

Last edited:
Ok, just a quick explanatory note... when you post an entry for the encyclopedia, if you want me to link it to your post directly, do it like this:

Name of Entry

<definition>

~Submitted by <your name>

That way it gives a little more order to the encyclopedia.
Also, when you reference to an outside source, try to quote it instead of linking to it. I may be paranoid, but I don't quite trust the mods not to delete certain threads. :D

Last edited:
Sturdinae Starling

(lat.); An eagle with an identity crisis who was left by his wife and swapped names with his arch-rival eagle Accipitridae. Sturnidae became a Starbucks waiter and a writer. His first book, "IKEA Main Catalogue 2008" will be published this summer. He is also renowned for rescuing OtW while falling off a cliff.
Sturnidae was first mentioned by lieke in the Corrupt A Wish Game:

Lieke said:
I wish for a fish... On James Blish!

Granted, but Blish gets mad at you for wanting a fish on him, so he writes a story about some evil assassin who is chasing you down and tries to kill you (in a far away galaxy of course). Unfortunately, Blish's best friend is Merlin, and he makes the story come alive. The assassin is chasing you down. You run for your life but unfortunately fall off a cliff. But you aren't that unfortunate, because a huge eagle who calls himself Sturnidae Starling (he's having an identity crisis) catches you, and takes you with him. You, of course, think you're safe now, since eagles are always the good guys, but Sturnidae is so suffering from his ID-crisis that he takes you right to Camelot, where people mistake you for king Arthur (it's the beard) and you get killed by Lancelot, who is also under the influence of Merlin (who is mad Arthur didn't give him enough credit for the whole sword-thing).

The history of Sturdinae's life was written by Miss Freckles, in iambic hexameter:

Miss Freckles said:
I wish I knew why Sturdinae had an ID crisis.

granted. the storytelling, all-knowing carlos pops up in front of you and tells you the whole story.

"it was a day in july. sturnidae starling wished he could fly.
he went home to his wife - all he had in life.
but she said "i know eagle accipitridae, he is much stronger than you, he has more feathers than you and he can fly!"
she left him this very day, to sturnidae's dismay.
he led a miserable life, without his cheating wife.
all the other eagles thought 'twas a shame,
and fell unconscious if someone mentioned the name,
the very words of that day,
"i know eagle accipitridae".
yes even the first letters of that,
"ikea" drove the eagles mad.
onehundredfiftythousand years later,
(sturnidae was a starbucks waiter)
his wife bought a bookcase and a game of dart
from ikea - terror struck sturnidae's poor heart.
he fell unconscious and woke again,
but never his old same.
the last thing he could remember before passing out,
was the name of the wicked lout,
by tragic misunderstanding he became accipitridae
and from this very day,
no starling would ever speak to him any more,
that was good cos his ears became easily sore.
but the moment sturnidae had become accipitridae,
the real bad eagle was struck by a ray
of light and became a starling,
that was the strangest thing
that had ever happened to him.
and he never found his true identity again,
as punishment for the time when
he stole the starling's darling."

when carlos was finished with his story, he died, because he was tree, and he had used all the oxygen he'd produced on telling the story. you are arrested for murder and since there's no free cells in the local jail anymore you're locked up in the insane asylum. in the same cell as derny's cd player (she put it there because it played the duffer song over and over again).

~Submitted by Miss Freckles

History of Sturdinae as posted by Lieke in the second "Me, a Duffer?" thread:

Lieke said:
Sturdinae Starling: An eagle who happends to think he's a starling (hence the name), except when he runs the identitycrisis-help-line, then he started thinking he was a sparrow, and after that a rabbit...

Anyway: first appearance (that would be me, Olorinsesss):p: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showpost.php?p=1491944&postcount=608

And after that a few posts were made about him: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1491944&highlight=sturdinae#post1491944

And how he got back to thinking he was a starling instead of a rabbit: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?p=1495632&highlight=sturdinae#post1495632

We're still working on getting him back to therapy, but when we try that he usually becomes evil for a while, didn't he drop you in a certain river in a certain factory, where you were chased by a certain shark, Olorinsesss?:D So, that's usually what happends when he's forced into therapy... OR when someone like Carlos tells a sad story about his life.

And yeah... he's my best friend

~ Submitted by Dernhelm

Last edited by a moderator:
Walls

Tall beings usually consisting of bricks and paint. Are rumoured to be able to talk which cannot be confirmed because insane people are not to be trusted. The walls in the Insane Asylum have nasty habits of crushing people flat, having arguments with the corners, doors, doorknobs, floors, ceilings or inmates.
"Talk to the wall" has become a common phrase for youngsters these days, used to replace the old phrase "Speak to the hand".
The history of walls is uncertain. Legend says that all walls have descended from Brickston in Southeast London where The Wall still stands, waiting for a masseuse that never came.
It is a generally remarkable fact that all walls seem to like donuts.

Insane Asylum, The

One of the basic foundations of Dufferland. The insane asylum is where every Duffer ends up sooner or later. The reason for this, as put forth by Prof. Dipl. O. Rable-Lloonie (the leading authority on Duffers), is because all Duffers are insane. In the insane asylum many strange things have originated, including the Butter Knife, habit of talking to Walls, and, although not in the asylum per se but just outside, the Shiny Trash Can.
Although the Insane Asylum's location is assumed unknown, it is rumored to have existed in Mexico at one point.

~Submitted by Olorin the Wise

The Angry Mob (Angry Mob, The)
Originally called "The Mob", it was first utilized in the Corrupt a Wish Game. This tactic always caused the corruptee of the wish to 'chased by an angry mob out of the city'. It is among one of the most popular strategies of the Corrupt a wish game, as well as one of the oldest with its first date of use being in July 2005.

Original Mob Post:
holyboy666 said:
Granted, but it spoiled on the way down. Everyone drank the milk, and now hospitals are overflowing with patients, while the doctors are sick themselves. Many people die in terrible pain. the rest form a mob to chace you out of the city. You run to a town that doesn't know you made the wish. You work at the local mall. You are accused of stealing merchandice, so another mob is formed that chases you out of the city. You go to another town. This town is too small, so a mob is formed that chases you out of that city. You go to another town. You realize you are dead, so another mob is formed and chases you out of a city.
[Source: http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?p=29482#post29482]

~*IOWW the Iasc*, Quote and additional information by Holyboy

Butter Knife, The

Invented in the Corrupt a Wish thread by Holyboy:

Holyboy said:
I wish I had a chocolate bar.

Granted. It is a health chocolate bar. Without the chocolate. You try to sue the company that made the chocolate bar, because you did not become hyper and throw a chair, but then you realize that you are in an insane assylm, and there are no chairs...but there is a knife...darn, its a butter knife that can't cut through butter. What is the point in that?

The Butter Knife is a notorious enemy of the Can, attempting to claim it is shinier than the Can, or even attempting to mar the Can's surface with scratches. Followers of the Butter Knife are described as "Butterknifers", and are without exception always defeated by the members of the Order of the Can.

Last edited:
Duct Tape

Duct Tape is a long-used and venerated object found in Dufferland in great abundance. In past times, the followers of the Duct Tape, e.g. those who populate the Order of the Duct Tape thread, lived in harmony with the followers of the Can, but lately discord has arisen between them, with certain Duct Tapers attempting to claim that chrome-finished duct tape is shinier than the Can, or even attempting to assassinate the Can. Naturally, all these attempts proved to be miserable failures.

I fixed the Angry Mob post, since no one would find the first quote. (It was originally called "A Mob"

thank you, lauren, but... lambic hexameter? :eek:

Cactus, A

Being one of the duffers' most dangerous weapons, they happen to appear in front of you very often and without apparent reason. Especially in the Cheese Whiz Game they are used very effectively as weapons / distractions / food / someone to complain about / substitutes for walls.

Typical example of cactus - abuse:
*cactus grows up underneath MF, causing her to jerk convulsively and throw the CW to Olorin* *takes it and teleports out of cactus field*

Some inmates of the Insane Asylum claim that as soon as they are cured, they are wrapped in green Duct Tape, beset with nails and released upon Dufferland, thus the growing number of cacti. The source of this tale has been found not to be reliable.

submitted by Miss Freckles

Last edited:
Cliffs

Often used in the LPG thread in attempts kill people, e.g. 'pushes Olorin off cliff'.
The most often used response to this is: '*grows wings & flies back*'

~Submitted by Earendil The Mariner

IOWW: Originally, it was primarily used by the Duffer Lieke in an attempt to defeat the Duffer IOWW. Soon after, it was used by almost all Duffers in the LPG.

Yes, cliffs could be considered Duffer objects. :D As could cacti.

MF, Iambic Hexameter is a type of poetic rhythm. I'm not quite exactly clear on what it means, but it sounds cool. :D

Encyclopedia, the Duffer

What is it? Book (thread) where people state all there Duffer things alphabetically.
Where did it come from: Originally MF's idea, and thread created by Olorinsesss. First word in it: Sun, Duffer.
Why remarkable: A strange thing in Dufferland, since it's supposed to bring order in Dufferland (as pointed out by Inkling).
Where is it going: So far, it's still bringing order, the waiting is for the persons who want to drive it off topic.

~Submitted by the evil... Lieke, i mean Lieke

Back