The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans

The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans (http://www.narniafans.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Dawn Treader (http://www.narniafans.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   A New Makeover for the Dawn Treader! (http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30139)

BarbarianKing 06-24-2014 02:35 AM

A New Makeover for the Dawn Treader!

Hello dear TDLrs:

The Dawn Treader Forum is getting a makeover soon in order to encourage and increase participation. We are asking for your thoughts, ideas, and opinions regarding which direction this section should go. Although the final decisions will be made by the moderators, we are eager to hear your ideas and will take them into account.

Somewhere in a secret basement decorated with shiny cans and with plenty of cookies, eggnog, and Cheeze Wiz for snacks, yours truly and all the other mods are considering several ideas for revamping this forum as listed below.

1 – We are considering deleting the Let It Snow, Of Silvers and Sovereigns, and Everything Else Subforums and all their threads.
2 – All future RP threads will be located on the main page of the RP subforum (currently the bottom section), to simplify the layout of the RP section.
3 – RP threads will have to be pre-approved by the mods. Do not start a thread without prior approval or it will be deleted without notice.
4 – Narnia related threads will have priority.
5 – Other RP’s may be approved as long as they are in subjects that are important to this forum such as Lord of The Rings, Literature based (such as Shakespeare Related), The Legend of King Arthur, and Christian or Faith based RPs (Catholic and Protestant both are Christian), and others as the mods and especially admin see fit.
6 – Threads that have the best chance of being approved should have themes of nobility, chivalry, faith in God, triumph over adversity, sacrifice, love for others, and Godly or moral virtues.
7 – We plan to write rules for dealing with problem players
8 – The RP creator will have leeway on how the role play should go, the characters and participants, and will seek help from the mods to deal with problems/issues of concern.

Among the other changes, we fully intend to re-instate the Narnia Pirates Thread. Why, do you ask? When the thread is ready and alive, you’ll know why we are doing this.

We especially would like to hear from those who have role played here before. Let us know what worked and what didn’t and why you stopped participating. If you have anything to say privately, you can send me a PM to keep it confidential.

On a last note, the whole of TDL will most likely be moved to a different sever and will use a different software, as stated by Specter on this post so the changes may not happen until after we have a new home (possibly with a new look).

All the mods and admin value your opinion so please don’t be shy. Post away!

Copperfox 06-24-2014 02:47 PM

I always thought it was a mistake to confine us ONLY to threads about Narnia. Nonetheless, no one tried harder than I did to keep the last Narnian roleplay going. On the other hand, I was NOT AT ALL sorry to get rid of sexy-vampire nonsense.

I am now too busy writing my Grey Eagle novels to carry any more under-supported roleplays on my back, but I might provide a minor character if someone else gets a good one going. I fondly remember being Merlin when Barbarian King was King Arthur. But it will be absolute POISON if players make the rest of us dependent on them -- then, at a point when the plotline CANNOT continue without them, decide to bail out without warning.

In the event that a roleplay requires player-versus-player combat, I have substantial cause to doubt that we can expect refereeing that pays any attention to what actions would really work. Therefore I have an alternate suggestion:

Suppose each player in a combative roleplay creates TWO characters, and secretly decides which one of them is more effective as a fighter. The player tells this to no one else except the creator or judge of the roleplay. Then, in the event of a combat occurring, the "weaker" character can be treated as expendable -- a red shirt, as Trekkies put it. With a little creativity on the part of the "dungeonmaster," there can be real-seeming battles, with casualties, yet a limit is placed on how much "bereavement" a player suffers.

Depending on many circumstances, I might be willing to control several VILLAIN characters, and have a secret agreement with the thread-creator that all of my villains EXCEPT one can be defeated by any good guy who tackles them.

BarbarianKing 06-25-2014 01:49 AM

First of all, we are going to discourage people from controlling "several" characters in one role-play because that makes a story too convoluted and takes away from the "fun" component of the RP. I believe that for a Role Playing Game to be successful, the primary focus should be for everyone to enjoy it and be able to post what their characters are doing without adhering to so many rules and/or combat "referees."

I know for a fact that the RPGs that were successful in the past were those where no one was told what to do by other players or mods, instead all created a story with colorful characters that were entertaining and fun. I remember that the creator of the thread would post one or two rules and then everyone posted away. Before you knew it, the thread had 10, 15, 20 or more pages of post with people just enjoying themselves posting imaginative scenes for their players.

Now, I understand that this type of RPing will create inconsistencies, contradictions, and unbelievable scenes that should and could not happen. Also, this is where we had problems in the past where people would create silly Role Plays just for the sake of making a new thread (Like one guy who created an RP thread and said: "I myself will not participate but you guys can go ahead an pretend...." Yeah, that's not gonna happen) but with no higher purpose whatsoever. But I also believe that the players are mature enough to solve these inconsistencies and problems on their own, or not, whatever they chose. If real problems arise, then that's why we mods are here to make sure everything is kept within the guidelines of the forum and the Dawn Treader's rules.

Benisse 06-25-2014 02:52 AM

Although I am totally inexperienced when it comes to rpg, I like the idea of focusing on themes that were important to the Chronicles such as:
"nobility, chivalry, faith in God, triumph over adversity, sacrifice, love for others, and Godly or moral virtues."

I understand Copperfox's concern for situations in which the flow of the story stops because the player behind some character becomes too busy to post. This situation definitely should be addressed in the ground rules or even in a problem-shooting thread (along with how to ensure balance of creativity between all players).

CORIN THUNDERFIST II 06-25-2014 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperfox (Post 2175461)
I always thought it was a mistake to confine us ONLY to threads about Narnia. Nonetheless, no one tried harder than I did to keep the last Narnian roleplay going.

I really enjoyed the "With Sword, Claws and Teeth Bared" game. Unfortunately, by the time we reached "The Battle of Beruna" there were too few of us remaining for it to be practical to continue. Moreover, my character, the evil Minotaur Zamron, had fled north after the death of the White Witch, whom he served, so it would have been very difficult for him to interact with other characters, although I considered a possible course of action.

Copperfox 06-25-2014 05:11 PM

Perhaps a contract signed in blood, promising that if any player disappears from action for more than one week, that player WILL NOT complain if the thread creator TAKES OVER the indispensable character long enough to make that character perform ONE ACTION that clears the way for the others to be able to continue?

And, of course, the problem of poorly-done umpiring of combat would disappear if there ISN'T any combat. For instance, we could have a roleplay about people attending a fantasy convention, in which the closest thing to an actual fight between characters would be an occasional squabble or hissy-fit (by the characters, I mean, not by the players).

BarbarianKing 06-25-2014 11:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperfox (Post 2175594)
Perhaps a contract signed in blood, promising that if any player disappears from action for more than one week, that player WILL NOT complain if the thread creator TAKES OVER the indispensable character long enough to make that character perform ONE ACTION that clears the way for the others to be able to continue?

And, of course, the problem of poorly-done umpiring of combat would disappear if there ISN'T any combat. For instance, we could have a roleplay about people attending a fantasy convention, in which the closest thing to an actual fight between characters would be an occasional squabble or hissy-fit (by the characters, I mean, not by the players).

I'm not sure that's a good idea to take over someone's character to keep the story going. Other options should be explored such as moving on to another arc of the story or just wait. I know for a fact that when people are enjoying the RP, they usually are present to continue with the story. Besides, RP threads should be no different than threads in other sections that have a period of high activity to a period of no activity and then back again. I don't think anyone should try to artificially make the thread go and go and go and go in (for lack of a better phrase) "an unnatural" way.

And there have been RP's where there are no battles at all, at least not between the players/characters. I know of one such thread in existence right now that does not have people (at least not that I have read, but I haven't read the whole thing) battling each other in any way. So while it is unlikely that such a thread be created or approved, it is possible to go to a convention (in an RP) and just hang out with your friends.

For RP's that require battles, such as Narnians against the evil armies, rules would have to be devised, of course, but we already know which army was on the losing side, whether you RP LWW or TLB.

Copperfox 06-26-2014 12:33 AM

I'm not sure that's a good idea to take over someone's character to keep the story going. Other options should be explored such as moving on to another arc of the story or just wait.

And wait, and wait, and wait.

B-King, I've always enjoyed any roleplay that you were part of; but you could have nine out of ten players loving it, and ONE could still roadblock it by refusing to write one little sentence at a crucial point. I wish you all success in outmaneuvering such problems. If I do join a new thread, then unless I fall down dead in the real world (or my wife or my mother or my daughter does), I pledge that no such roadblock will ever be MY doing.

Gondorgirl 06-26-2014 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperfox (Post 2175606)
I'm not sure that's a good idea to take over someone's character to keep the story going. Other options should be explored such as moving on to another arc of the story or just wait.

And wait, and wait, and wait.

If the RPGs have dedicated role players then they will not inexplicably disappear. If they know they're disappearing they should give warning beforehand and request what they would like the players to do in their absence. If they disappear due to a crisis it would be kind to wait and ask what they would like you to do.

If they are not a dedicated player then that is another problem entirely that is probably not going to be helped by taking control of their character without permission.

Copperfox 06-26-2014 11:45 AM

Which is why I suggested an arrangement of _giving_ consent ahead of time.

For my own part, I have another idea for my character if I join a roleplay. Wherever possible, as I post, I'll have my character _thinking_ in advance what he _will_ do if something happens. For instance: "If there's an ogre around that corner, I'll attack it with my sword." Then I, as my actual self, will positively _plead_ for everyone to assume, if my actual self is forced to be absent, that my character _does_ act as he was intending, so that I _won't_ be the cause of the RPG thudding to a halt.