The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans

The Dancing Lawn - Official Forums of Narnia Fans (http://www.narniafans.com/forum/index.php)
-   The Socratic Club (http://www.narniafans.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=45)
-   -   Catholic Q&A (http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13838)

The First Joke 11-12-2006 08:23 PM

Catholic Q&A

In many of the religion-based threads, I find myself answering questions about Catholicism so I thought that maybe it would be nice to have a thread specifically for those who have questions about Catholicism. I'll do my best to answer them and fellow Catholics can help answer, too. Be nice, kids! O and be sure to lable whether your post is a "Q" or and "A".

Aslan's Son 11-12-2006 08:34 PM

Q: This doesn't really pertain to religious matters, but were there any other saints that were twins (male/female) besides Saints Benedict and Scholastica? I'm the boy in a male/female set of twins and always found that interesting. I think I got interested in this when I read a book on the saints just for fun and found out I was born on the Day of St. Joseph (Mar. 19th--can't remember if that's his Feast Day or the day that honors him).

The First Joke 11-12-2006 08:38 PM

A: Thanks for posting! I'm not sure about the saints but I'm checking now... of course there were many sibling, or somehow-related saints- Saints Cosmis (sp?) and Damien.

Aslan's Son 11-12-2006 08:41 PM

Thanks! <3 I also found it kind've neat that I was born on St. Joseph's Day, as he was a carpenter, and that's my surname. Pretty weird, huh?;) As for the saints, the only siblings I could remember were the ones you mentioned, then Benedict and Scholastica (the only twins I can think of off the top of my head), and then Boris and Gleb.

The First Joke 11-12-2006 08:47 PM

that is pretty cool. I was born on the feast day of some obscure saint- Saint Olympus.

Copperfox 11-12-2006 08:49 PM

Those twin brothers mentioned above were, as I recall, partners in a medical practice--one as a physician, the other as a pharmacist. And I believe the one starting with a C is spelled Cosmas.

Boris and Gleb are outstanding figures in medieval Russian history: highborn men who were NOT willing to kill their own brothers. They had an evil brother, Svyatoslav I think, who upon the death of the great Vladimir of Kiev set out to become an only child. Boris and Gleb died martyrs' deaths, refusing to raise their hands against their own flesh and blood. Thereafter, since someone HAD to stop Svyatoslav, the other surviving brother, a more virtuous sort named Yaroslav, gained moral standing for his actions through the sacrifice of Boris and Gleb, since that murder of unresisting victims proved that Svyatoslav had NO right on his side. Yaroslav prevailed at last, and became the second Christian ruler of Kievan Rus. All the subsequent great rulers of Russia, as far along as Ivan the Terrible, were descended from Yaroslav the Wise. And one of these, Aleksandr Nevskiy, is reputed to have once had a vision of his many-times-great-uncles Boris and Gleb.

Lady of Lorien 11-12-2006 08:54 PM

A:
There are many related saints. I think often if a person comes from a family where the parents were holy and raised their children in a holy way, more than one of the children become saints. Take for example this amazing family: Severinus and Theodora were (according to a saint book I'm looking at) "illustrious for their virtue." Their children were St. Isidore of Seville, St. Leander, St. Fulgentius, and St. Florentina. I don't know if they had other children, but I know those 4 were saints. Wow!

The First Joke 11-12-2006 11:30 PM

well said!

Lady of Lorien 11-12-2006 11:37 PM

Thank you.

And Ged...that's really neat that you were born on St. Joseph's feast day and your name is Carpenter.

LifeMaiden 11-13-2006 03:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Copperfox
Those twin brothers mentioned above were, as I recall, partners in a medical practice--one as a physician, the other as a pharmacist. And I believe the one starting with a C is spelled Cosmas.

Boris and Gleb are outstanding figures in medieval Russian history: highborn men who were NOT willing to kill their own brothers. They had an evil brother, Svyatoslav I think, who upon the death of the great Vladimir of Kiev set out to become an only child. Boris and Gleb died martyrs' deaths, refusing to raise their hands against their own flesh and blood. Thereafter, since someone HAD to stop Svyatoslav, the other surviving brother, a more virtuous sort named Yaroslav, gained moral standing for his actions through the sacrifice of Boris and Gleb, since that murder of unresisting victims proved that Svyatoslav had NO right on his side. Yaroslav prevailed at last, and became the second Christian ruler of Kievan Rus. All the subsequent great rulers of Russia, as far along as Ivan the Terrible, were descended from Yaroslav the Wise. And one of these, Aleksandr Nevskiy, is reputed to have once had a vision of his many-times-great-uncles Boris and Gleb.

It's Nevsky, not Nevskiy. At least when I took Russian history.What do these guys have to do with Catholic saints that are twin brother and sister?