NEW Harry Potter Thread - All Harry Potter Here

How did you like the Deathly Hallows Part One movie?

• Loved it!

Votes: 18 51.4%
  • Enjoyable, could have been better

Votes: 12 34.3%
  • It was OK, but not great

Votes: 4 11.4%
  • Hated it

Votes: 1 2.9%

• Total voters

inkspot

Beloved Disciple
Royal Guard
Emeritus
OK, I don't know how to put a new poll into the old Potter thread, so I am starting a new HP thread here and locking the old one so everyone can vote about how they liked the new film.

YAY!! New Thread!!!
O.K, I would like to share my favorite Dumbledore quote(s):p
"I see myself hold a pair of socks. Another Christmas come and gone and not one pair of socks. People insist on giving me books"

"Humans have a knack for choosing precisely the things that are worst for them."

"For future reference, Harry, it is raspberry...although of course, if I were a Death Eater, I would have been sure to research my own jam preferences before impersonating myself."

“That which Voldemort does not value, he takes no trouble to comprehend. Of house-elves and children’s tales, of love, loyalty, and innocence, Voldemort knows and understands nothing. Nothing. That they all have a power beyond his own, a power beyond the reach of any magic, is a truth he has never grasped.”

“Do not pity the dead, Harry. Pity the living, and, above all, those who live without love. By returning, you may ensure that fewer souls are maimed, fewer families are torn apart. If that seems to you a worthy goal, then we say good-bye for the present.”

“Tell me one last thing,” said Harry. “Is this real? Or has this been happening inside my head?”
“Of course it is happening inside your head, Harry, but why on earth should that mean that it is not real?”

Very good quotes! I like them. :)

I saw the movie the other night, and I was impressed. HBP, and especially OoTP, films had been a bit disappointing and rushed with important plot points left out.

I think in DH 1 they left out important plot points, but they worked to repair some of what they had left out previously, and they sort of followed the spirit of the book without following it page by page.

One thing they glossed over was Harry's struggle to understand Dumbledore, and his sort of, disbelief of Dumbledore. Throughout DH, right up to Dobby's death, Harry is actually doubting Dumbledore and angry with him. He doesn't understand why Dumbldore wasn't more honest with him, and he even feels like Dumbledore just used him. Remember how he even believes what Rita Skeeter wrote about D?

But in the film, he just barely raises any of those issues at all ... in the book there's a moment when he realizes, even if Dumbledore was just using him, even if he didn't understand Dumbledore or D had been dishonst with him, he is going to go ahead and do what D asked of him.

I think it's an important moment in the spiritual ethos of the book, like a moment in the Christian walk where we say, "I don't understand what Jesus is doing, it doesn't make any sense, and I don't like it, but I am going to continue down this path, by faith."

It's too bad they didn't keep that in the film.

Also, what did everyone think of Harry and Hermione dncing in the tent after Ron left? Were you afraid they were going to kiss? I was! It was going to ruin everything for me. But it worked out OK.

Inkspot, kindly put a link to this new thread in the old thread et vice versa. It took me quite a while to find this one. Thanks. Plus back-references will be unavailable without such a linkage.:eek:

Sorry, inked, here it is:
http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20916

I went back and looked at your previous posts, and followed your link to Hogwarts Professor, too. He said the same thing about the Harry/Dumbledore crisis of faith!

And you said the same thing about the dance scene!

I guess huge Potter fans all felt the same way ...

Hogwarts Professor also mentioned a theme I had never noticed in the half dozen times I have read DH (it's my favorite in the series) -- about all the eyes in DH. When he listed them, it all seemed very obvious:

The blue eye in the mirror
Harry's mother's green eyes in Harry
The red Voldemort eyes in the locket

Seems like he listed some others, too. And he lamented that this theme was left out of the film ... Interesting. I just read the book the other day, now I will have to go back and read it again to compare to the film, which I want to see again.

Last edited:
Sorry, inked, here it is:
http://www.narniafans.com/forum/showthread.php?t=20916

I went back and looked at your previous posts, and followed your link to Hogwarts Professor, too. He said the same thing about the Harry/Dumbledore crisis of faith!

And you said the same thing about the dance scene!

I guess huge Potter fans all felt the same way ...

Hogwarts Professor also mentioned a theme I had never noticed in the half dozen times I have read DH (it's my favorite in the series) -- about all the eyes in DH. When he listed them, it all seemed very obvious:

The blue eye in the mirror
Harry's mother's green eyes in Harry
The red Voldemort eyes in the locket

Seems like he listed some others, too. And he lamented that this theme was left out of the film ... Interesting. I just read the book the other day, now I will have to go back and read it again to compare to the film, which I want to see again.

I thought that the dance scene was sweet. I wans't afraid that were going to kiss(JKR does help write the script, so I'm sure she wouldn't allow it). They have been through so much and had no happy moments. It made the whole movie just a bit less depressing.

Thanks, Inkspot. Now, you need to go to the old thread and link to this one in the last post. That way the two will be accessible via one another.

The hogwartsprofessor's book THE DEATHLY HALLOWS LECTURES is excellente! If you read it, you will want to re-read the entire series!

http://www.amazon.com/Deathly-Hallows-Lectures-Professor-Adventure/dp/0972322175/

you could tell Santa that you'd like to have it!:D

edit:add to user cp to find

Last edited:
Overall, I really liked the movie... it definitely improved upon the previous ones in a lot of different ways. I loved how they were able to direct more focus on the artistic elements rather than just the plot. There was definitely a more solemn, melancholy feel to this installment, but I thought it was interesting how it was aesthetically "lighter" than the rest of the films. I also loved what they did with the characters... Harry and Hermione, especially. Don't get me wrong... I'm not on board with a romance between them. But I thought their progression as friends was really poignant. The dance scene was cute and uplifting, and the part at the graveyard really tugged at my heartstrings.

I don't have many specific complaints about the film as a whole. I thought they did a really nice job of adapting the novel for the big screen, especially considering the length of the text they had to work with.

I have seen the movie with a very close friend of mine and I must say I liked it. There were flaws but I did like the movie in general. Like Inky said I was also afraid at first Harry and Hermione were going to kiss but fortunately they didn't. Then I liked it because it showed a brother/sister bond between the two. I was touched by the Dobby scene. I was really deeply touched when Dobby saved Harry and his friends but how he was hit and died. The whole theater was quiet at that scene and it made me love Dobby deeply. Now I can't wait for part 2 and me and my friend will go there too

Phew. Well, I just finished reading The Deathly Hallows yesterday, meaning I read the entire book series for the first time in a month and six days. Yes, after all of these years, I finally read Harry Potter. You can thank my girlfriend a bit. :D Anyhoo: Anyone notice in the books the Death Eater Dolohov always gets body-binded by Petrificus Totalum? That seems to have been one of Rowling's private jokes for the readers to catch.

As for Part 1 of Deathly Hallows, it was all right. The Dobby scene got me since I've seen all of the other films except Half-Blood, and the rest of the film had plenty of strangely hilarious moments that lightened the film. My honest opinion about Part 2? It needs to be 3 hours long...at least. :D

I enjoyed the new Harry Potter movie and enjoyed it more than I did the other Harry Potter movies.

Some of you also mentioned the Harry/Hermione dance. I liked the dance. I think that was very nice to have in the movie as it shows the relationship between them and how close they've become over the years.

Now I can't wait for Part 2!!!

Orieus, do you mean that was the first time you read the HP books? Do tell, what did you think of them? They are far, far better than the films. The filmmakers should have been making two-part movies since book 4, when the series turns the corner and becomes more dark and complicated, imho.

So what did you think of the books? What kind of symbolism did you see?

Everyone chime in: do you see any Christian symbolism in HP? Because I see tons of it.

I'll start with the first time Harry defeats Voldemort. At that moment, and in those days, a lot of unusual things happen: owls, witches and wizards are seen on the streets (and in the air) of the muggle world. Wizards and witches are joyfully embracing muggles as if it's a day for celebration. And -- a baby arrives on Private Drive.

To me this is all reflective of the Christmas story: angels broke out of the unseen realm and encouraged normal people to celebrate! Like the wizards and witches, they were so overjoyed, they couldn't let the "muggles" remain ignorant that a momentous thing had happened. And, of course, a baby arrived. It was the "beginning of the end" of our enemy's rule over our world ... just as Harry's first defeat of Voldemort was the "beginning of the end" of V's domination.

What else do you see in the series that reflects Christian symbolism?

Orieus, do you mean that was the first time you read the HP books? Do tell, what did you think of them? They are far, far better than the films. The filmmakers should have been making two-part movies since book 4, when the series turns the corner and becomes more dark and complicated, imho.

So what did you think of the books? What kind of symbolism did you see?

Everyone chime in: do you see any Christian symbolism in HP? Because I see tons of it.

I'll start with the first time Harry defeats Voldemort. At that moment, and in those days, a lot of unusual things happen: owls, witches and wizards are seen on the streets (and in the air) of the muggle world. Wizards and witches are joyfully embracing muggles as if it's a day for celebration. And -- a baby arrives on Privet Drive.

To me this is all reflective of the Christmas story: angels broke out of the unseen realm and encouraged normal people to celebrate! Like the wizards and witches, they were so overjoyed, they couldn't let the "muggles" remain ignorant that a momentous thing had happened. And, of course, a baby arrived. It was the "beginning of the end" of our enemy's rule over our world ... just as Harry's first defeat of Voldemort was the "beginning of the end" of V's domination.

What else do you see in the series that reflects Christian symbolism?

In the Order of the Phoenix, The Ministry was going around saying all was well when they weren't, and accusing people who spoke out of being mad liars. I think that can be seen of parallels in the Bible when people did not want to hear the truth.

Right. In fact that whole ethos of the truth being "hidden" is very reflective of Scripture at every stage in Harry's life ... His whole being sent to the Durselys could be seen as the way Mary and Joseph had to flee Palestine for Egypt in order to escape from Herod's reign of terror -- Jesus was taken quite out of the nation where His life would have it's context and meaning, while Harry was taken out of the magical world and "hidden," like Jesus, in the Muggle world.

Christ's glory was hidden in the body of a carpenter who lived in obscurity until He blazed onto history's pages at age 30; even then His true nature was hidden until after His death. His truth, His light, was hidden.

It was the same in HP ... Harry's true nature was almost constantly misunderstood and hidden; remember even in Chamber of Secrets people thought Harry was the Heir of Slytherin. He was constantly misunderstood, his goodness and potential always hidden -- even sometimes from those closes to him. Remember how angry Ron was during half of Goblet of Fire because he thought Harry had put his own name in the goblet? Isn't that like the way Jesus was misunderstood by his own family (they came and told people He was mad and needed taking care of, and his cousin John the Baptist even sent followers to ask Jesus whether He was the Messiah or if they should look for another.)

Throughout Harry's story, there are many parallels to Scripture, includin this one, that his true nature is hidden away, and misunderstood, just as Christ's was.

Back