Votes: 2 12.5%
  • Noldor--Known for wisdom and invention

Votes: 9 56.3%
  • Teleri (Sea-elves) Known for song and as builders of ships

Votes: 3 18.8%
  • Teleri (Sindar)--Remained in Beleriand under Thingol and Melian

Votes: 2 12.5%

• Total voters
I'm actually contemplating painting the Trees as a mural in my future nursery. :) I just haven't found a good picture of them yet.

There really bad...Hardly look like trees. Try Google image search "Trees of Valinor" or something. It's not at ALL how I picture them, so I might have to just fine a good drawing of a tree and have an artist help me add detail...

What I am picturing though, looks something like this: One whole wall, with no windows. The trees would be as tall as the wall so the rounded part touches the ceiling edge. The tree branches intertwine with each other, but not tightly. The trees themselves are brown, with green grass at the floor and a blue sky with clouds behind. The leaves of Laurelin, the golden tree, are a light green--as the book describes--with the edges and veins tinged with a golden glitter. Golden yellow flowers bloom in clusters with a glow around each to show how the tree gives off light. Telperion, the silver tree, will have dark green leaves with undersides and veins of silver glitter and small silver flowers give off a light much like moonlight. The mingling might be difficult, but as I am no artist, I don't quite know how it will turn out! :D

I needed something to do, so I asked for an excuse to post something. :D

Birthname: Artanis, meaning "noble woman" (Quenya)

Name from mother when a young girl: Nerwen, meaning "man-maiden" (I think this means she was a tomboy ;))

Name everyone in Valinor ended up using because of her hair: :D
Alatáriel, meaning "crowned with a radiant garland"

Galadriel is the Sindarin translation of Alatáriel, which she adopted when she lived in Doriath.

My opinion is that Elves can't decide what to name their children so they continue to change it over the years. :eek: Wouldn't THAT be confusing here?

Teleri.For some reason they remind me of Selkies,which are my favorite fantasy creature.:D

I'm reviving this thread because [1] I'm currently re-reading the Silmarillion and really enjoying the back story it gives to Lord of the Rings, and [2] the discussion so far also had some interesting observations re: Voyage of the Dawn Treader, which is timely in view of the upcoming release of the movie version.

I am finding the Silmarillion beautiful although a bit ponderous, but probably that is because it is reconstructed from Tolkien's notes rather than his polished writing such as in LOTR. It's like seeing a story unfold in many parts via wide lens camera rather than close up where the reader is drawn into the characters and their feelings and thoughts and choices. A notable exception of course is the story of Beren and Lúthien, which in my opinion is one of the most beautiful epic love stories ever written.

What are your responses to this work and what it shows us of Tolkien's writing process? Or how does it interface with the Chronicles of Narnia?

Last edited:
I think that The Silmarillion was for Mr. Tolkien what Boxen was for Mr. Lewis: a work more for the author's own enjoyment than for any external audience.

Meanwhile, in the real world, I increasingly feel like Hurin, in his rearguard action at the Battle of Unnumbered Tears--standing on a heap of corpses, still swinging my battleaxe, shouting "Day will come again!"

Back