PDA

View Full Version : Do any of you volunteer or do missionary work?

LifeMaiden
07-23-2006, 08:34 PM
I was curious if any of the members here ( and I imagine there are many) have done or currently do volunteer work to help out a certain cause, have protested against something they were against, or if anyone has done missionary work. If so, what did you choose to do, and why?

EveningStar
07-23-2006, 09:02 PM
Yes. I work in Boy Scouting (training leaders and leading a troop), Animal Welfare, and my local church. And the fact I spend a lot of time on The Dancing Lawn doing things that lack entertainment value (moderating, cleaning threads, answering questions) also counts, I think.

Gondor Knight of Narnia
07-23-2006, 09:03 PM
Yes. I work in Boy Scouting (training leaders and leading a troop), Animal Welfare, and my local church. And the fact I spend a lot of time on The Dancing Lawn doing things that lack entertainment value (moderating, cleaning threads, answering questions) also counts, I think.
VERY MUCH SO! :eek: If it weren't for ya mods there'd be spam running rampant, not to mention half the DL would be fueding w/ the other half...

Me?Recently I went on a mission trip to New Orleans(Still have to finish the journal I started...) IT WAS A BLAST!! :D

onlymystory
07-23-2006, 09:16 PM
I volunteer at the Red Cross, I'll be my sister's Bible study leader this fall at church and I'm on the volunteer board at my university. My favorite activity is the Into the Streets one. We have the volunteers sleep outdoors in the park and the only thing they can use for protection is what they find in the park. The next day we spend the entire day working at local homeless shelters. And as far as missionary work, I might be going to either Belize or Israel over Christmas depending on what my church decides to do.

AslanLives
07-25-2006, 07:26 PM
My family and I were missionaries at a church plant in Constansa, Romania for two years. Ive also gone on mission trips with my youth group to Miami, Florida and Santa Fe, New Mexico.

Narborg
07-27-2006, 06:19 PM
Yes.

Im on the committe for Christan union at my university, where we do a lot of outrach stuff which I help to otganise and run, and I do stuff thoght my church.

Solya
07-28-2006, 05:33 AM
I used to do volunteer work in church when it came to big events and whenever they needed someone to help out in mass. :) I stopped with that because I fell ill quite often, but have no desire to pick it up right now. Many people I knew there are now gone and I don't get along so well with some others who are in charge now. My Dad still volunteers and brings the little leaflets they make every month around in the village we live in.

My Mum and Dad were offered the chance of becoming missionaries in Guinea-Bissau before I was born. Mum would've been a teacher there and Dad would've helped out with building things. They didn't do it in the end because it was a very big risk to leave everything behind like that. Sometimes I wonder what life would've been like if I'd lived over there instead of here, but then at other times I just praise myself lucky for being here. Maybe I'll visit the country some time later on in life to see what I've missed and stuff.

LifeMaiden
07-28-2006, 07:46 AM
My family and I were missionaries at a church plant in Constansa, Romania for two years. Ive also gone on mission trips with my youth group to Miami, Florida and Santa Fe, New Mexico.

OOH Eastern Europe! That's wonderful.

There's so many things to do through a person's church. I'd love to volunteer more for the homeless, still volunteer for the Humane Society and donate to the Animal Ark & SPCA, but I'd like to help the elderly too.

Neevil
07-28-2006, 04:41 PM
I am a leader-in-training for a program at my church, called Awana. It's for kids of all different ages. I help out with the Cubbies (3 & 4 yr. olds...). My Sunday school class is going to a nursing home to visit with people soon, too. I also am the assistant Service Project Chair in Honor Society, so I will be helping a lot with those service projects this year.

echoscot
07-28-2006, 05:14 PM
I have done volunteer work with homeless shelters and stuff, but not recently. I would love to get started again.

Yoo1029
07-31-2006, 10:45 PM
I am a leader-in-training for a program at my church, called Awana. It's for kids of all different ages. I help out with the Cubbies (3 & 4 yr. olds...). My Sunday school class is going to a nursing home to visit with people soon, too. I also am the assistant Service Project Chair in Honor Society, so I will be helping a lot with those service projects this year.

Wow, AWANA! What part of the world you from?

I used to volunteer for AWANA as well...group leader for the T&T (i think it was 4th through 6th grades).

LifeMaiden
07-31-2006, 11:29 PM
This is terrific reading all of the great things everyone is doing, to make the world a better place. I'd really like to spend the rest of my years doing a lot more for people who are in the most dire need, especially in other parts of the world....

Elf Of The Grey Havens
07-31-2006, 11:30 PM
Does what I do count as volunteering?

Lucy_QueenofNarnia
07-31-2006, 11:41 PM
I try to do as much volunteer work as I can...

I was a Girl Scout for 7 years, but once I moved to a different county, there weren't many troops to choose from, and it wasn't taken as seriously. I figured it would be better for me to join some other groups. So in 8th grade, I was in the National Junior Honor Society and did a lot of community service then, and then last year (9th grade) I joined a school-wide club that is basically a volunteer group for the entire county. this year I plan on working my butt off to get enough hours to join the National Honor Society and keep up my grades.

My sister works at a human society shelter, and soon I plan to start volunteering there a couple days a week, for about 5-6 hours a day. I also have volunteered at my library as a "teen helper" and do the summer reading program for kids.

I've never actually protested for anything I believed in (partly because I'm a bit young to do that, and partly because I live in a small town where there's not much to protest on).

But in the future, I really would like to be able to do more volunteer work that helps children in need. I enjoy helping around my community, and I hope as I get older, to be able to extend my work further than just my county.

LifeMaiden
07-31-2006, 11:48 PM
Does what I do count as volunteering?

You mean being a MAWD DER RAY TORR in training? Absolutely...you take the time out of your day to make sure this forum stays family friendly and free from abusive remarks.

Lady Callandra
08-01-2006, 01:07 AM
Well, I recently helped out with my church's vacation Bilbe school. I was assigned to help out the preschoolers. :D I have also volunteered to help clean my church. Usually it's only one person cleaning my, fairly big, church building, and I help her out when I can so she doesn't have to stay there all afternoon when she could be resting or doing other things where she is needed.

I'm not really able to do much, but every little bit helps. :)

LifeMaiden
08-01-2006, 01:42 AM
Well, I recently helped out with my church's vacation Bilbe school. I was assigned to help out the preschoolers. :D I have also volunteered to help clean my church. Usually it's only one person cleaning my, fairly big, church building, and I help her out when I can so she doesn't have to stay there all afternoon when she could be resting or doing other things where she is needed.

I'm not really able to do much, but every little bit helps. :)

That's right, it's very true every little bit helps. If more and more people realized this, little bits here and there add up to a lot!! :)

Ephinie
08-01-2006, 02:02 AM
I used to give blood on a regular basis, but I stopped doing that because now I give plasma (the liquid part of your blood) instead. It's just like giving blood except you can give it twice a week. The best part is that they PAY you to give your plasma. Unfortunately, that means it can't really be considered a "donation" anymore, which means there goes my community involvement.

I was in Girl Scout when I was young, and that was a really positive experience. I've been wanting to see what I can do about volunteering for them. I have to figure out what my schedule is going to look like first, though.

LifeMaiden
08-01-2006, 02:14 AM
They've been advertising this where I live, about donating the plasma. I see homeless people doing it. Don't they have some kind of rule about who donates plasma, or is the plasma the part of the blood that can't carry diseases or say, drugs that are in the bloodstream? I can't imagine a homeless person who's been out on the street for years donating plasma that's safe...ick.

Elf Of The Grey Havens
08-01-2006, 02:17 AM
I think most of that stuff is carried in the actual red blood cells, not the liquid they float in. I think the plasma is pretty much neutral for everyone.