Does anyone know what instrument it is that plays "A Narnia Lullaby" ?

• Thread starter ¤~*Serenity Pevensie*~¤
  • Start date
¤

¤~*Serenity Pevensie*~¤

Does anyone know what instrument´s playing "A Narnia Lullaby" ?

Hello ^^
Im wondering.... does anyone know who/what instrument that plays the melodyin "A Narnia Lullaby" ??
Im cinda familliar with instruments... but I cant get this one ^^
can someone tell ?? :)

Last edited:
I didnt think about that... :p
but... Im not sure that it will say :S
or will it?? XD

I'm not entirely sure, but I think the instrument played in the lullaby is a duduk? At least that is what it sounded like to me. I hope I spelled it right. :confused:

It's an Aulos. A form of double reed flute used in Ancient Greece. The one they showed on screen is designed for coolness. It would actually be divided at the mouthpiece to be V shaped rather than a Y shaped, and it would have been substantially longer.

The real life instruments used to produce the sound were two ocarinas.

TrueNarnian is correct about IN THE BOOK. The movie was going for something a bit more unique. ;)

oh well even in the movie it still looks like he is playing the panpipes. i luv the tune mr. tumnus plays and then aslan appears in the fire and roars then the rooms becomes dark..that moment made me feel happy and sad

Panpipes are a series of reeds strapped side by side in order by length. That is more properly known as a Syrinx.

The legend goes that Pan was chasing a lovely nymph that he wanted to "know better"...she did not want him for the same reasons other females of various species did not...he had a rather ugly hooked nose. She called out to her mother who turned her daughter into a cluster of reeds. He made a set of pipes from the reeds, the first Panpipes, and played them in sadness to be close to her.

Here are the panpipes mentioned in the book.

panpipes.jpg

Last edited:
lol i can't see the pic. but i know what they look like

CHAKAL: Was a bandwidth issue. I stored the pic on my own site now.

Last edited by a moderator:
There have been widely varying responses as to what this instrument is. I previously said it was a duduk. So because of these varying responses, I researched on the web and found a definitive answer--straight from the composer's mouth. I was right--it is in fact a duduk.

Here is the link to the interview conducted with him on Walden's very own website:

http://www.walden.com/web/teach/lww/qa/1

I hope you can link to this--but if the link doesn't work, just type it in, and you'll get to the interview.

Bravo! The Ocarina produces a nearly identical tune, however, and I would have thought he would have gone for a less obscure instrument. Dang! The Duduk is an Armenian instrument.

I play the flute and the soprano, alto and tenor recorders. For anyone who played a little soprano recorder in music class has to think LONG AS A CLARINET and quite nasty to keep free of mist. Unless you soap out the headblock of one that's not wood, it will play for approximately 20-30 seconds before it beads up with water inside and becomes totally mute. It's also so long that it has to have a key for the pinky to operate the bottom hole.

Specific

I am afraid when it comes to the aulos i can not find one like it is in the movie. I only can find a very long one in artwork. And even when i see one it is a single tube nothing liek that in the movie. PLease be more specific if you know a more specific name for it

The one in the movie is a prop, designed to look cool. But it's a very impractical design. The tubes have to have separate mouthpieces because it's the sum total of the length of the pipes that determines the fundamental frequency and thus the note produced. The real aulos has mouthpieces side by side, giving the impression of a single mouthpiece.

Pardon my frivolity

Somehow this reminds me of P.D.Q. Bach. For anyone who doesn't know, a composer named Peter Schickele, who has done good film work in his own right, pretended to have "discovered" lost compositions by an obscure relative of the famous Johann Bach, called P.D.Q. Bach. The tunes he performed, accompanied by fake-serious lectures, were actually comedy in the form of instrumental music: something better heard than described, but really funny when you hear it. The reason for the connection is that Schickele invented a bizarre instrument of some kind for P.D.Q. Bach. If he is still active, I'd like him to be given a chance to score one of the future Narnia movies. If you ever see the old sci-fi movie "Silent Running" with Bruce Dern, Schickele did the music for that.

tamerwell said:
There have been widely varying responses as to what this instrument is. I previously said it was a duduk. So because of these varying responses, I researched on the web and found a definitive answer--straight from the composer's mouth. I was right--it is in fact a duduk.

Here is the link to the interview conducted with him on Walden's very own website:

http://www.walden.com/web/teach/lww/qa/1

I hope you can link to this--but if the link doesn't work, just type it in, and you'll get to the interview.

Yes, it's an Armenian instrument. They had it on ebay. They still might. :)

Back