Dutch

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, are here people from The Netherlands or Belgium who like to talk Dutch or does anybody want to learn Dutch?
I am dutch and I am curious :D

Hey jullie nederlanders of belgen! Waar blijven jullie???

Dutch and German are two languages I would love to learn. My greatest influence has been out of a desire to visit Belgium so much, and out of admiration for a very sweet lady, the beloved Koningin Fabiola; what an influence! In her youth, aside from Spanish, she studied English, French, Italian, and, of course, Flemish (the softer-spoken, more traditional Dutch largely associated with the Flemings in Belgium - or, at the very least, so I've read on the matter :D).

As for the French (if any are familiar), I believe there are differences between the France French and the Belgium French, though I am not certain where they get their differences. Perhaps it is "accent-only"? Hmm...

ow, hier is nog een Nederlander
ik wil, als t me uitkomt, ook best een keer helpen met Nederlands geven :p

i want, if i've got the time for it, to help you witch teaching/learning Dutch :)

Fabiola is a wonderful lady and I don't know if you ever have heard about a dutch huge fairytale park called The Efteling and the Belgium Queen Fabiola wrote a fairytale for it called De Indische Waterlelies. Translation:The Indian Water-Lily. Yeah, I think it is just the accent, because the difference between the dutch spoken in the Netherlands and in the dutch spoken in Vlaanderen Belgium, is only the accent and some words are different.
Alright, Alex je mag me helpen als je wilt ;) Alex may help me, but here is the first lesson. About the Verb Are. In dutch : Zijn.
I= ik
you = Jij
He= Hij
She= Zij
It = Het
We = Wij
You = Jullie
They = Zij

About how to pronounce it:
The first word Ik is pronounced like the ig in big, or ick in thick.
The dutch ij is pronounced like the y in why, shy or bye and the J is the same sound as the Y in You or J in June.
The H is the same as the english H.
The Z is pronounced like the Z in Zsa Zsa Gabor
Et in Het sounds like the ET in met or bet.
The W sounds the same like the english W.
The dutch pronouncing of Jullie is like the name Julie, but with the U spoken as the ue in the french word que.

Alright, now a bit of a sentence:
I am = Ik ben (ben pronounced like the name Ben)
You are = Jij bent (exactly the same as the englsh word BENT)
He is = Hij is (Is = pronounced the same)
She is = Zij is
It is = Het is
We are = Wij Zijn (Same pronouncing as ZIJ but with the N behind)
You are = Jullie zijn
They are = Zij zijn

You can say I am Jack (ik ben Jack) I am late ( ik ben laat) I am old (ik ben oud) the verb ZIJN (Are) is used for almost everywhere.

First lesson is over. If you want to learn more, let me know :D

Oh me definatly!!!....

Ok I am not completely sure but part of the difference in the French's might be spelling and such, like the first American Dictonary, the guy who wrote it changed spelling on some things, and added words like, 'skunk', because Skunks aren't native to England so they hadn't been seen before by the settlers.....so something similar might have happend with Belgium and France...maybe?

I want to learn Dutch!!! Once I took this Dutch test where you had to match the pictures to the words and I got 100%!!! I was sooo proud of myself!!! I am part Dutch, so maybe thats it!!! :) :p

Nederlands!

Hey!!

Ik ben ook een beetje Nederlands!! Ik woon nu in Canada, maar ik woonde in NL voor 4 jaar :) Dus nederlands kan ik wel spreken!!

-I'm also a bit dutch!! I live in Canada now, but I lived in the Netherlands for 4 years :) So I can speak dutch!!

Groetjes!!!
-Katie

Peter lover said:
Fabiola is a wonderful lady and I don't know if you ever have heard about a dutch huge fairytale park called The Efteling and the Belgium Queen Fabiola wrote a fairytale for it called De Indische Waterlelies. Translation:The Indian Water-Lily. Yeah, I think it is just the accent, because the difference between the dutch spoken in the Netherlands and in the dutch spoken in Vlaanderen Belgium, is only the accent and some words are different.
Alright, Alex je mag me helpen als je wilt

It gives me the chills when I am able to understand something, even if I've never learned the language before. I love languages! :D

I believe I have heard of Queen Fabiola's De Indische Waterlelies, but I have for certain heard of "The Twelve Wonderful Tales of Queen Fabiola," if that is their appropriate title, directed at children. She is amazing, and follows in her late husband's footsteps so very well. So tragic what happened to King Boudewijn.

Please, teach on! I'd love to learn, even just the basics - that's more than enough to help one to get started. (Also, how would you rightly pronounce "Boudewijn"? Boo-de-wine? I know, I'm such a newbie, ha ha!)

Curumo said:
IPlease, teach on! I'd love to learn, even just the basics - that's more than enough to help one to get started. (Also, how would you rightly pronounce "Boudewijn"? Boo-de-wine? I know, I'm such a newbie, ha ha!)
Yes, that is it! The twelve wonderful tales. She made them for the children because she didn't have children of her own and I believe she would have been a wonderful mom. Because she is always so sweet and kind to others.

You are a newbie now, but soon we dutchies have to mark our words, because you will understand ;)
Boudewijn will be pronounced like Bowdewine so you did a very great job with the de and wine.
The ou is in dutch always pronounced like the ow in conw or how or bow.
But the dutch AU is prononounced exactly the same.
Gauw (soon) is also pronounced like the ow.

lesson two: The verb hebben (to have) pronounce: Hab- bon like the on in paddington or Middleton and the E in hebben is the same as the a in have.
The E in the beginning of a dutch word will be spoken like the A in have, but otherwise it is pronounced like the sound of the E in the french word Te, or Je.

I have = Ik heb (ig habe, same as have, but instead of v you say a b)
you have = Jij hebt ( jy habet)
He has = Hij heeft ( hy hayft, EE sounds like the AY in stay)
She has = Zij heeft (Zy hayft)
It has = Het heeft (het hayft)
We have = Wij hebben (wy habbon)
You have = Jullie hebben ( Juellie habbon)
They have = Zij hebben (zy habbon)

So, lesson two has ended. I hope you are able to learn a bit. I hope I'm doing it right!

wow! Omgosh! Dutch and German are really close!....am I missing something here? Are you all laughing at me??....don't tell me I dont know history as well as I should!!

Yay!!! This is fun!!!

Ik ben Jonny!!!!!!!! Ik heb............ ermmm...........urr..... :eek:

*ahem* *I CAN SPEAK DUTCH!!!!!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back