Do you think Corikan could be the villain?

Josh

We all freaked out when we heard they were adding in the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Then freaked out much more when we heard they were creating a new witch.

But they said they removed her. However, it doesnt seem like they've drastically changed the plot of the movie from the interviews I've read.

So do you think its possible they are making Corikan a villain in this movie to replace the witch? I don't think I'd like that, but I actually wouldnt be too surprised if they did.

I just noticed he showed up in the trailer a lot more than Caspian or Eustace and they could be trying to sell him as the villain.

We all freaked out when we heard they were adding in the Lady of the Green Kirtle. Then freaked out much more when we heard they were creating a new witch.

But they said they removed her. However, it doesnt seem like they've drastically changed the plot of the movie from the interviews I've read.

So do you think its possible they are making Corikan a villain in this movie to replace the witch? I don't think I'd like that, but I actually wouldnt be too surprised if they did.

I just noticed he showed up in the trailer a lot more than Caspian or Eustace and they could be trying to sell him as the villain.

He may not be a villan, rather he might be appointed by Aslan to as the trailer said "test" the Pevensies and Eustace. Or he might be under a spell and the Pevensies shall have to find a means to break it. In either cases, I wouldn't be bothered or upset. :)

I do not think he is a villain. I am still kind of confused on the tralier. I mean mabe he is beong epic??.........:confused:

I do not think he is a villain. I am still kind of confused on the tralier. I mean mabe he is beong epic??.........:confused:

Most likely, since trailers can never give us the context. They are collage of scenes from the beginning, middle, and end, only out of order. XD

very ture..... sometimes I hate it when traliers come out 6 months before the movie and then you get your hopes up for the movie!:)

very ture..... sometimes I hate it when traliers come out 6 months before the movie and then you get your hopes up for the movie!:)

I'm going to try and be objective this time, I refuse to let the purist part of me disect the VODT and ultimately compare it to the masterpiece.

No. No chance. Coriakin's quote in the trailer of "You are about to be tested" is a mix of Gandalf's knowledge mixed with Elrond's foresight, to put it in one type of context. The trailer gave none of the typical indications of him being a villain.

Now they are messing with Coriakin? There are no villians in VDT, nor do there need to be villians added. What next? Stormtroopers? Killer bees?

Perhaps they should rename the movie, 'Voyage of the Story Sherdder'' ;-)

BTW, are folks seing the trailer in theaters or online?

I don't see how it could be assumed that Coriakin is the villain...there are enough villains in the film to avoid that (Sea Serpent, Gumpas, Pug, etc...)

There is definitely nothing to indicate that Coriaken is the villian. The feel of those scenes, even from the trailer, is exactly the way it feels in the BBC Narnia and in the book.

Coriaken is a scary unknown at first to Lu and the Narnian Crew. The dufflepuds have talked him up to being the villian that he is not. Coriaken IS larger than life, but he's also a chum of Aslan's - apparently Aslan has an open, ongoing invitation for tea. Coriaken should be slightly scary in that mysterious sort of way. If you can compare it - Aslan is dangerous - but he's good. Aslan IS scary! But he's also a kitten you can cuddle with...

If Coriaken didn't have that mysterious, all-powerful quality we wouldn't have a goo Coriaken.

So take heart again! Coriaken is definitely the way he should be!

There is definitely nothing to indicate that Coriaken is the villian. The feel of those scenes, even from the trailer, is exactly the way it feels in the BBC Narnia and in the book.

Coriaken is a scary unknown at first to Lu and the Narnian Crew. The dufflepuds have talked him up to being the villian that he is not. Coriaken IS larger than life, but he's also a chum of Aslan's - apparently Aslan has an open, ongoing invitation for tea. Coriaken should be slightly scary in that mysterious sort of way. If you can compare it - Aslan is dangerous - but he's good. Aslan IS scary! But he's also a kitten you can cuddle with...

If Coriaken didn't have that mysterious, all-powerful quality we wouldn't have a goo Coriaken.

So take heart again! Coriaken is definitely the way he should be!

And although it's not perfectly comparable, he's probably about as close to the wizards of Tolkien as we can get. :D

If you know Josh (the creator of this thread), he's usually obsessed with villains!!!!! Aren't you, Josh? Anyway, Coriakin doesn't look like a villain. They would have shown him doing villainous things in the trailer if they wanted to sell him as one. "You are about to be tested" is hardly an evil phrase. No self-respecting villain will say such thing!:D

Last edited:
I actually believe that Coriakin could be the villain. Not because of the lines in the trailer, but because of a line in the book here:

"In this world you have already met a star: for I think you have been with Coriakin."
"Is he a retired star, too?" said Lucy.
"Well, not quite the same," said Ramandu. "It was not quite as a rest that he was set to govern the Duffers. You might call it a punishment. He might have shone for thousands of years more in the southern winter sky if all had gone well."

Because of this line in the book, I can easily see the director and writers turning Coriakin into a villain, or at least making him out to be a harsher character then one to have "an open, ongoing invitation for tea [with Aslan]."

One of the things that has made me wonder the most about how a movie adaptation of VDT would be, in comparison with other Narnia movies, is that VDT is the most unique book in the series, not focusing on the universal plot as much as going from one event to the other. An example of this is how each problem ours heroes face- being kidnapped by slave owners, being turning into dragons- is solved before the chapter ends. In comparison, the other books has a constant buildup to the very end.

Coriakin, being a central villain, could be expanded and create another universal plot. Let me be clear, I know that the main plot in VDT is to find the seven missing lords. But again, as they are found almost completely one-by-one, VDT is given a step-by-step feel as a pose to a buildup story- which is something that I believe most movie workers would shoot for.

Of course, when looking at the the trailer, and all the other movie news we have, there is no reason to suggest this, for, as others have pointed out, "You are about to be tested" could be uttered by ether a villain or hero character. But I do believe that Coriakin and Lilliandil will be more important in the movie than the book, no matter how different their characters are. It would seem to me, that if this was the case, then Ramandu would also have a bigger part, but as nobody has been cast for his part, there could be even more changes to Coriakin and Lilliandil.

I'm not saying that I believe Coriakin will be a villain, but I do think that the possibility is still there. I will not assume anything, only wonder what could be, and I will also reserve my judgments on whether-or-not this is a good thing, until I see the movie.

I'm sorry for writing so much, and for not checking grammar, this was suppose to be a quick thought, but sometimes my mind gets ahead of me.

Sir Godfrey, Coriakin is the Magician on Duffer Island.

In the book, Coriakin was an unknown. We did not know if he was good or bad until Lucy conversed with him just as the Duffers were villains until they turned comical.

I think they may keep him more of an unknown, not a villain. This is, after all, Lucy's adventure and they would not make her have to go against a power enemy on her own. I have a feeling he will be helpful.

MrBob

A villain says things like" "I don't expect you to talk, I expect you to die," or "Throw him in the hot m a g m a," or "I'll turn you into a meat Popsicle." But "you're about to be tested?" I don't think so. :D

A villain says things like" "I don't expect you to talk, I expect you to die," or "Throw him in the hot m a g m a," or "I'll turn you into a meat Popsicle."

Or, "I suffer without my MacGuffin. Do not prolong my suffering."

Or just, "Mwahahaha!"

:rolleyes:

Anyway, I agree with previous posters. There isn't anything to suggest that Coriakin is a villain, but, of course, if they did decide to make him villainous, that might be why they haven't suggested it...element of surprise and all that. But I seriously doubt they'll make him villainous. A little ominous, perhaps, but not evil.

Meat popsicle??? LOL!!!!!!!

I don't think Coriakin is the villain, though I could be wrong. If I were to go with my gut I would say Dark Island itself is the villain with no particular origin. I would say it feeds off of the evil in the human heart.
Perhaps, in the movie, it is what turns Eustace into a dragon, and we know from the books it makes nightmares come true. My best guess is that it takes all the worst parts of a person and manifests it in some terrible way.
In order to defeat it you must defeat every evil and weakness within yourself (by the power of Aslan hopefully). From what I gather the theme of the movie was said to be temptation, right? Perhaps this is how they get their point across. Perhaps defeating all the darkness within themselves is where the testing comes in. *shrugs* That's my best guess, though I still haven't a clue about anything.

Back