NarniaFans.com - The Best Narnia Movie News website on the planet.
 
Narnia
Narnia»NarniaFans.com
NarniaNarniaHome
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Forum
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Books
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»C.S. Lewis
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Fan Section
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Games
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Movies
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Music
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Shop
Narnia
 
Narnia
Narnia»Site Info
Narnia
Fan Fiction
 Her Newest Ally
by Lamplighter101
Edmund's blunder from his queen's perspective.
When Adam's flesh and Adam's bone,
Sit on Cair Paravel in throne,
The evil time will be over and done.


“Nonsense,” remarked the queen of Narnia with a great show of confidence. “Where did you get this information? Who told you?”

“Your Highness,” returned the husky reply of a beastly black dwarf, “I overheard some dryads in the Western Woods, or the “Lantern Waste” as they call it, talking about it. The Great Cat,” here the dwarf scoffed irreverently, “promised them delivery from your eternal winter.”

“Kill them.” The queen responded coldly. “Destroy every traitor.” The dwarf diverted his eyes for a moment and a deep blush crawled onto his wrinkled face. “Excuse me, Your Majesty, but I already have.”

In her cold conduct, the queen nodded her head slowly and, with that, exited the room. Down a long corridor and down a twisting flight of stairs she walked, her tread noiseless and her face grave and frosty as ever. Coming to the open air, she boarded a waiting sledge and handed the whip to the driver.

“To the Western Wood,” came the concise command and the sledge was off. Buried in a pool of furs, the queen did not feel the stinging bite of the winter wind as the other residents of Narnia did. The breeze swept the queen’s hair, blowing back her heavy locks of hair and the snow sprayed out before them on either side of the sleigh.

“A prophecy,” mused the queen, “Cair Paravel. What is that beastly cat scheming? Adam’s flesh, yes, I do recall that other rumor about ‘sons of Adam and daughters of Eve’. They all claim that when Aslan returns, wrong will all be right for them and when he bares his teeth, my winter will be put to an end. Does he not know that it isn’t the winter I want, but because I hate the spring that reminds me of that fateful day? Yes! that day when he made this land spring forth with life. I must remain on guard against any foreign humans in Narnia. The prophecy must not be fulfilled. Aslan,” here she spit in disgust, “must not come back. It is not enough that I have killed that tree with the power of my deep magic. Aslan himself must be killed.”

The sledge suddenly halted and the queen fell forward. “What-” she began in an irritated tone but stopped and looked on in confusion as her driver leapt off the sledge and, whip in hand, ran in the direction they had come.

“What is it now, Ginarrbrik?” the queen asked in an edgy tone.

“He- he won’t let go!” A different voice answered her; she froze. It was not the throaty voice of a dwarf or the irregular speech of an ogre. It almost sounded like the voice of a certain creature that had wakened her from a spell- oh- ages ago.

With a gentle sigh, the queen rose from the sledge and turned to view their caller. Again, she froze and her eyes hardened. “It is the same,” she thought with a cold chill, “a son of Adam!” She turned and reached for her wand but then hesitated for a second. What if . . .

“What is your name, son of Adam?” the queen questioned crisply, studying the features of the creature with intense scrutiny.

“Ed-Edmund,” stuttered the boy in a hasty, fearful voice.

“How dare you address the queen of-” began Ginarrbrik but the queen cut him off.

“And how, Edmund, did you come to enter my dominion?” inquired the queen instead.

“I- I was following my sister and-”

“Your sister?” interrupted the queen again, her face turning a shade whiter. “How many are you?”

“Four,” answered the human creature plainly. “Peter and Susan didn’t believe Lucy at first because she said that she met a faun named- um- Tumnus.”

“Edmund,” stated the queen in a different, erratic tone, “you look so cold. Come sit here on the sledge with me.” The human obeyed without complaint but held an expression of fright written plainly upon its face. “I believe I can change that,” she thought with a small smile.

“What would you like to eat, Edmund?” the crowned royalty asked in a sugary voice, displaying her finest smile.

“Turkish Delight?” came a hopeful, willing reply.

“So far so good,” thought the queen as she let a drop of her cordial hit the snow beneath her. Her driver handed the craved dish to their visitor with a bow. The creature seemed to be surprised by the treatment he was receiving in a good way, at least, according to the queen’s thinking.

Then the queen turned her piercing eyes to her newest ally. Conveniently snatching her driver’s nearby stocking hat, she neatly wiped the powdered sugar away from the human’s mouth. “I should so much like to meet your family,” she breathed in a still voice.

“Why?” responded the human in an uncaring tone. “They’re nothing special.”

“Oh,” reassured the queen quickly before continuing in flattering approach, “I’m sure they are not nearly as wonderful as you are.” To her pleasure, the human creature seemed to accept her words with great pleasure and pride. “You see, Edmund,” sighed the queen of many worlds, “I have no children of my own. You are the most handsome and intelligent boy that I have ever seen. I think you could some day become,” she paused almost for effect, “prince of Narnia. Maybe even king.” The boy’s eyes lit up.

“Really?” he asked between mouthfuls of Turkish Delight.

“Of course, you’d have to bring your family,” pressed the queen with the endorsement of a cool gaze.

“Oh-” reacted the human as if a sudden realization had hit him. “Y-you want Peter to be king too, don’t you?” He was already beginning to nod his head as if he understood the queen’s thinking.

“No,” laughed the queen unexpectedly, tossing her head gaily. “But,” she added with a more serious tone, “a king needs servants.”

“I-I guess I could bring them,” replied the boy promptly with a cunning nod of his head.

“It’s secure,” thought the queen with a grim smile, “the four thrones at Cair will not be filled!”

© 2006-2007 Lamplighter101
back to top
This site is maintained and updated by fans of The Chronicles of Narnia, and is in no way affiliated with C.S. Lewis or Walden Media. We in no way claim the artwork displayed to be our own. Copyrights and trademarks for the books, films, articles, and other promotional materials are held by their respective owners and their use is allowed under the fair use clause of the Copyright Law. Design and original photography however are copyright © 2003-2007 NarniaFans.com.